It’s Flippin’ Friday!!!! #10

Well…we’re knee-deep in the holiday buying season…so the flips should “a-flippin” all over the place! Last Friday, there were stories of A Night Before Christmas book, Baby Gap sweater dress, an “Oleana-The Norwegian Story” sweater, and a bar cart.

So whatcha got this week? Keep our fires fueled with big and small flips! Just leave your fun story in the comment section below!

And remember, if you are in the need for shipping supplies this holiday season, click the “shipping supplies” link at the top of the page for some great, inexpensive items to help you send your packages safely to their destinations!

This entry was posted in Flippin' Friday Stories. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to It’s Flippin’ Friday!!!! #10

1. Most of the time when you sell something on eBay, they pay, you ship, hopefully both sides leave positive feedback, and you’re done. But sometimes you’re lucky enough to get the back story. A while back I picked up a nice Ralph Lauren safari-type jacket at a yard sale for fifty cents or a buck, and made about $15 profit on it. The real fun came when the buyer emailed me about something, and in the course of two or three more emails I learned that she is now in her 70s, had been a very well known movie stunt rider and is in some kind of stuntperson hall of fame, and she was buying my jacket for a jaunt into the Grand Canyon on muleback!

This is another recent flip..with a different type of item. Discontinued health and beauty items as well as food type items can be good sellers. (just gotta get ’em before they expire…expired products are a no-no…at least on Ebay)
    Anyway, we were on a recent trip and went into a small discount grocery place that we knew of. Checking out, I was perusing the candy aisle..and saw Altoids Tangerine Sours. I said to my hubby…’hey! remember those? They must not make them anymore.’
    I bought a couple tins….50 cents each and we left.
    Got to the car…whipped out my phone and checked ebay. Yup..they were there…and selling at a nice price. I said..”hang on, I’ll be right back”. Ran inside, double checked the expiration date and bought the rest.
    I had 8 total.
    So, I spent $4 on 8 tins and in the next few weeks sold them for a total of….
    $120!!!!
    ‘Sweet’!!!

I bought some vintage 60s flashcards at a garage sale for 25 cents. They were all there. They were black and white cards and made by a company I had never heard of. I sold those cards for $58.00. Couldn’t believe it. I am always amazed at what people will buy!!! So random.

4. Anonymous says:

I always look forward to reading everyone’s stories every week!

Nothing super exciting for me this week, I did find a pair of Obermeyer snow pants NWT (originally priced $40) for $5 at Goodwill and sold them for $16. I’ll take it. I wasn’t sure how well they’d do since they were Juniors size 18, but it only takes one person that wants them, right? They were an easy thing to list, store, and ship, so that made me happy.

5. latenightcoffee says:

What fun stories this week again!!

Here’s a flip from a couple of years ago. I was out with my husband on a Saturday morning. We had already hit a ton of sales and decided to stop at an estate sale we had seen. It had to be almost noon.

We get inside and the place is cleaned out. Oh well. We’ll just meander through the slim pickens. Out of boredom, I walk over to this tall long box and start pulling out what looked like rolled up cardstock posters.

Except…they weren’t posters.

They were signs that Howard Johnsons used to frame and hang in their restaurants advertising their ice cream and hamburgers in the 1960’s. There were six of these beauties I nabbed for just a few dollars. They ended up selling for almost $400.00 for the all of them. HoJo collectors are mighty!

I’m telling you…it sometimes doesn’t matter how late you are to a sale…overlooked is overlooked.

6. Shirley Wall says:

Hi – I love reading the Friday Flip Stories and am very inspired by them! I am hoping to have my own amazing flip stories one of these days! I had no idea there were buyers out there who want Altoids Tangarine Sours – wow! Learn something new everyday. Keep sharing those amazing stories. Thanks, Shirley

7. nancy says:

Love your blog! I’m visiting the St Petersburg area next week. Any tips on good thrift shops? The only one I found listed was the Attic Shoppe and there were no reviews. We’re staying in North Redington Beach. Any advice would be appreciated regarding thrift stores, where you like to eat etc!!

8. Pingback: It’s Flippin’ Friday! #11 (and a BONUS!) | Late Night Coffee