Flippin’ Friday- #127

flippinfridayWelcome back to Flippin’ Friday! This is the place to find out what people are buying at thrift stores and garage sales…..and reselling!

Last week, we had some great reselling stories about an original HP 22 Tri-color Ink cartridge in retail packaging, Epson Claria 99 inkjet cartridge color multipack, Sarah Coventry statement choker necklace, Vintage Anne Klein sewing pattern, Simplicity Fantasy costume patterns (uncut and factory folded), a pair of vintage Gilda Marx black flextards, vintage early 70,s Frostline Kit down vest, Giro Gauge mountain bike shoes, Patagonia down sweater, Uniqlo down jacket, Paradise Found aloha shirt, Asics wrestling shoes, Nintendo 64 , Bumbo seat, mini American Girl Julie doll, girl scout groovy doll,a leather bottom Eastpak backpack, a pair of Tony Lama lizard skin cowboy boots, and a Trapper Keeper (beach scene).

Wowzers! You all have been working! Congratulations on your flips!!

If you have a great flip you’d like to share, just write it in the comments section below! We love reading them! Just be sure to include your item, what you paid, and what it sold for in the end.

Looking for more great flips? Check out some more great Flippin’ Fridays here and all the great things to look for under “The List” at the top (which is still a work in progress).  And I always keep my list too at the top under “Flips”!

This entry was posted in Flippin' Friday Stories and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Flippin’ Friday- #127

1. Mike says:

Interesting week… Got my first negative feedback, still decent results. Frostline down vest has gone unpaid…

Best flips of the week:
    Lowa hiking boots -Paid $31 each, sold for $100 each +shipping (2 pairs)
    Vineyard Vines Silk Tie -NWT -Paid $5.99, sold for $44.99 +shipping
    Patagonia GoreTex XCR Shell Jacket -Paid $6.99, sold for $59.99 +shipping

The sales continue to roll in… This is just helping me pay off my student loans quicker. ; )

• Late Night Coffee says:

Ugh. Sorry Mike.

You’re a good seller…and your stuff is great!

Don’t stress on the neg…I always did….and the sales didn’t seem to diminish.

Thanks for your weekly updates…you’ve got the reselling thing down to a science in your niche!

Rebecca

2. Mike says:

Well, it took an Unpaid Item case, but the vest was paid for finally. I also sold a women’s shirt by ETRO of Milano. I thought it was ugly as sin, but it did fairly well. Paid $4.99, sold for $35.99 (NWT).

Thanks for the kind words Rebecca. I’m still hoping for some positive feedback to push it down. Why does it seem that only about 60% of buyers actually leave feedback?

• admin says:

I think it’s a hassle for some people…even me sometimes (Ashamedly…I’m often “bundling” my feedback onto one day.)

I look at it like this….I would rather them say nothing…than something bad.

60% is not bad. I’m on Etsy right now primarily…and that is about par for the course there too.

It stinks when you are new…or when you need some to balance a not-so-great one out….but I’m always nervous that if I even push the “please leave feedback” vibe at them..with that pouty face of the cat in Shrek…..even in the nicest way….the statement in their mind will start with “You want want some FEEDBACK?? I’ll give you some FEEDBACK!” and ends with “There! NOW you have some feedback!”

But I’m paranoid like that.

And yeah…those Unpaid Case “reminders” often light a fire…..

Keep on…keepin’ on Mike!

3. Susan says:

Rebecca,

I see under your list of flips that you have sold some vintage bedsheets. Do you have any tips for stain removal? I have some character sheets from the 60s and 70s that are lightly yellowed in places; I tried a salt and lemon juice stain removal process for vintage linens but it didn’t really help. (I think the discoloration just shifted!) I hate to list my items with stains; on the other hand, I suspect they might sell anyway. Advice?

4. admin says:

Yeah…it’s difficult to find vintage children’s sheets without some kind of discoloration,flaw or stain (blech).

If it’s just some yellowing from age or from how it was stored, I’d say you’re good. Just mention it, take a picture of it…and keep the price lower than non-flawed sheets that are exactly the same.

If it’s a stain from something that could be really gross (and really…who wants to test if it’s chocolate or blood) then you have another option. Cut off the offending part or piece and sell it as cutter fabric. A LOT of crafters buy the old character sheets for making crafts and such…so you still have a market either way.

That’s what I do.

I wash the sheets ONCE when they get home and they get put in one of the two piles I mentioned above. I follow the advice of my antique dealer mother…”The more times you have to touch something (as in fix, work, make better, etc.)…the less money you are making on it.” Time is money.

Luckily with sheets…you can still sell them either way without spending a lot of time with them.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your sheet sales…they can be very lucrative!

5. Scoobie says:

Sold $1 Tamgotchi NIP for $35. Sold another $1 Tamogotchi NIP for $35 ..then buyer didn’t pay.Relisted..sold again for $35. buyer didn’t pay AGAIN. still waiting for it to clear so I can relist it. UGH. DON’T BID if you aren’t going to pay!
    Fisher Price Lift and Load Little People Set Complete with Mint Box at a yard sale for $4 sold for $75.
    Mickey Mouse vintage sheets: Bought $8 sold for $35.
    Fisher Price Peek A blocks: Bought $6 sold $35.
    Thanks to you guys my eyes are always peeled for “war” board games. Found 1980’s Conquest of the Empire Bought $1 sold $30. Boy this game had A LOT of pieces in it but I sat there and divided them all up and ziploc bagged them. Thankfully the instructions were included and it listed what was included in the game…it was complete. Sold very very quickly.