FROM THE ARCHIVES: “Oh honey…you’re home from work already?”

This week, I found this craft magazine from 1964.ย  I believe it is the “Holy Grail” ofย  questionable taste crafts. I’ll let you be the judge.

This is the cover. Innocent looking enough. Let’s take a look, shall we?

Now, I wasn’t a housewife in 1964. But I imagine if I was so bored I needed to make a cover for my Comet can,ย  I would have headed for the liquor cabinet instead. Then again, that may have been the inspiration.

Party Hostess: “So…can you guess what I made these with?”

Me: “Your eyes closed?”

I know this is supposed to be a handmade Nativity scene…but it also reminds me of that time in college when we rented Shelter #13 at the park…and someone made Sangria that was really good…too good…and the park ranger showed up…and I was the only one in the shelter…except the birds…and the Sangria…and the birds…and the spinning…and the ranger…..

Step 1: Sweep off your driveway. Step 2: Put glue on two wicker placemats. Step 3: Put swept driveway debris on glue. Step 4: Put on door.ย  Step5: Refill your wine glass.

I’m no expert on religion, but I’m pretty sure one of the wise men was NOT a poodle.

Party Hostess: So, what do you think? Can you believe I made that with liverwurst?

Me: Believe? Yes. Understand? No.

This had to be my favorite from the whole magazine. Nothing says “Happy Holidays” like mucus-sucking syringes made into ornaments. I can’t believe I’ve been passing them up when I see them…I could kick myself.

If you liked this…you’ll like this too. I would have loved to have been in these publishing meetings when these ideas were pitched.

This entry was posted in Junkin' Humor and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to FROM THE ARCHIVES: “Oh honey…you’re home from work already?”

1. Sarah says:

So funny….I’m going to read this outloud to all! Love your humor!

2. sue says:

no…seriously, are those animals made from those mucus sucking syringes? You have to admit, that did take some imagination…I wouldn’t have even dreamed of thinking for another use for such an object. My mind just reels and while attempting to think of something equally offensive, how about crafts made from tampon tubes?
    I was at a sorry estate sale and the family had about 3 enameled bed pans. I mentioned that I needed one when our school nurse retired…they told me they would give me a bargain price but I declined. Then, I saw an enameled, urinal for someone bedridden. They told me that an aunt had hung one in her bathroom, complete with flowers. So help me, I thought about that for about 3 seconds and then got in my car to flee…

• latenightcoffee says:

Yeah…sadly those are those baby syringes…I did a double take when I saw them. And what? Putting urinals on the wall for decoration? I would like to say I’m surprised….but I can totally picture someone doing that. I guess that’s better than using it as a chip and dip bowl….

I would have to “flee” too…great story!

3. P. says:

I am laughing my butt off! And I thought crocheted poodle covers were weird…

4. Cathy says:

Yikes! And lol at hitting the liquor cabinet!

5. Chris says:

Great giggles! Write on!

6. Jodi says:

Becky, you are hilarious! Hey, I’m looking for a crochet pattern. It’s a bunny with pipe cleaner ears, many times the bunny is wearing a skirt (it’s attached). The bunny body fits over a styrofoam egg and the head is also filled with a small styro ball. My mom used to crochet thousands of these in a variety of colors and we would sell them at the bowling alley or door to door. Not even kidding…..If you run across this kind of pattern, let me know. It’s such a embarassing memory that I think I want to see the pattern again just to make sure I didn’t dream this up!

7. Kathleen says:

You are so stinkin funny! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Angela says:

This is too freakin’ funny!

9. Alyssa says:

Oh my! These made me laugh. I have to admit they remind me a bit of some of the odd things I’ve seen in some old knitting magazines. Wonder if they had the same editor?

10. dogsmom says:

I needed a good laugh this morning.
    I have a stack of those old magazines but will never be able to look at them again without hearing your commentary in my head.

11. Hilarious! I love the Poodle Wise Man…

12. Janice says:

Hilarious. Better than the 1970’s Cook Books!

13. Amanda says:

I almost had a Sangria episode like that a couple of weeks ago! Dont ask ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Pingback: When you care enough to find the very best… | Late Night Coffee

15. Pingback: It’s Flippin’ Friday! #8 | Late Night Coffee

16. Pingback: Dooyahavwun? | Late Night Coffee

17. Joani says:

This is classic stuff. You should have a giveaway where the prize is having coffee with you and snarking on this kind of stuff. Nothing says “festive” like a boog sucker. Hopefully they splurged on new supplies for that projects. ew. I just grossed myself out.

18. Pingback: Another “Must Share”… | Late Night Coffee

19. LMAO at your comments!

20. annabel52 says:

I think I actually have that “wonderful craft journal” that I picked up at an estate sale. Of course it didn’t have your commentary and wasn’t nearly as funny. Now off to find it so I can”hear” you comments while I enjoy the 60’s craft world.

21. admin says:

Hehe. These magazines are fun, aren’t they?

I’ve got a couple of other “goodies” I plan on sharing soon.

Whoo!…someone wasn’t monitoring quality content back then.